Website at https://scipost.org

Do you have any comments on, and suggestions for improvements of the central SciPost user facilities at https://scipost.org?

Write them up here and I’ll see what I can do about it!

As probably most users, I use google to search for papers - even my own.
In this context it is a real problem, that google will not direct me to the “published” page but instead I first come to the “first submission” page and I need to do several not-so-obivous clicks to find the “published” page with the citation and the most recent version of the paper.

Minimal solution: replace the red “This is not the current version.” with a clearly visible link: “published Scipost, …” which brings you to the correct page.

Better: convince google to go to the right page directly (no idea how that works).

Dear Achim, thanks for those points.

I’ve implemented your suggested “minimal solution”, namely: I’ve added better links to the published versions, more or less as you suggested (see e.g. SciPost Submission: Archimedean screw in driven chiral magn…).

The “Better” solution, namely tweaking Google, is beyond my powers. I’ve been in touch with the Google people in the past and the problem is that their index is rarely updated (once every six months!), so if an entry gets indexed at any point (like all submissions we get, soon after they appear), they won’t get updated for a long while. The irony is that our systems make all the info available as soon as it exists, but their reindexing is too slow.

Wow, that was fast. Amazing speed!
Thanks!!!
Achim

I’m not quite sure how to express this, but I usually find it hard to parse the content and navigate on SciPost. When I open the front page, I see information that is presented to me all with more or less the same “visual weight”. Maybe it’s the rectangular design, or maybe it is something else, but I feel my eyes are not focusing on anything in particular and I need to sort of read the page like a book to see what’s going on. Modern web pages are usually designed to communicate their content in a nonlinear, modular fashion that draws the attention to what’s important. Maybe there are pictures or design elements like background color and outline, etc. that help achieve this (I’m of course not a design expert).

Anyway, I don’t know how important this is but at some point it would be nice or even helpful to attracting more users, editors, etc. to have a fresh look at the overall visual design of SciPost.